iNaturalistUK – what users are saying
This page is to provide examples of what iNaturalistUK users are saying about iNaturalist.
We will add to this page as we receive more user comments. We hope that it will be helpful in providing you with further information as you decide which tool is best for you to use
Contributor: S Bushes
- Use of the autosuggest. Being able to get an instant idea of genus, family, or even order(!) is a massive help when you are first starting out and learning.
- The more UK users feed images into the training model, the better it will become at being able to ID UK species, so it gives one a sense of contributing to this bigger goal too.
- Being able to help others with identification makes one feel less like one is just taking without giving. The system is more like a skill-sharing and learning / teaching opportunity.
- In addition, it is just more of a social and community space to record in. The Facebook groups are like this in UK, but the Facebook groups don´t automatically record any of the data which passes through them and simply aren´t built for biological recording. Meanwhile, though iRecord is built for recording, its not a social space.
- Exceptional design! The user friendly interface isn´t just easier to use than the other options, its also speedier to use. You can upload a lot more observations in a lot less time. This means more time spent out and about enjoying nature itself.
- Sharing a support network with the broader global community is really helpful ( there are experts on iNaturalist in some areas that we simply don´t have in the UK for example )
- Better awareness of global biodiversity – great way to armchair travel!
Source S Bushes on the iNaturalist Forum 15 April 2021