The National Biodiversity Network
The NBN Gateway is a database which holds more than 127 million species records. More than 160 partners provide this data and anyone can view the information for free.
The NBN Gateway quite simply acts as a “data warehouse” for biodiversity information, which can be quickly and easily accessed to understand the distribution of particular species in the UK. Individual records, covering plants, mammals, birds and invertebrates, are stored on the NBN Gateway and these can then be displayed on a map of the UK in a number of different ways.
Using the NBN Gateway
The NBN Gateway is free for anyone to use and provides a single point of access to wildlife information held by a wide range of organisations and groups.
For help with using the NBN Gateway, follow the links below:
- Getting started by creating your own user account
- Getting better access to records
- Filling in the Request Enhanced Access form
- Exploring species
- Using the Interactive Map Tool
- Exploring a site or 10KM grid square
- Exploring designated lists
- Exploring datasets
- Downloading records
- Sending my suggestions and feedback
If you have any comments or queries please get in touch to let us know