News and events
NBN Conference 2017
NBN Conference and UK Awards 2017
We are delighted to announce that the NBN Conference 2017 will take place on Thursday 16th and Friday 17th November at the National Museum Cardiff.
As we continue to move around the UK, and based on feedback from 2016, Wales was the next logical place to visit, especially with the launch of the NBN Atlas Wales this year.
National Museum Cardiff
Cathays Park, Cardiff
The Museum is a 20 minute walk from the central railway station and is served by local buses. Find out more about how to get there
This year’s theme is “Data – what is it good for?”
In addition to the programme you can find out more information on the presentations by clicking the links below for the speakers:
Thursday 16th November
- Keynote address – Professor Simon Leather, Harper Adams University
- Jo Judge – NBN Chief Executive
- Ellen Wilson – Chair of the Scottish Biodiversity Information Forum
- Helen Wilkinson, Manager, Knowledge and Information Management and Barnaby Letheren, Enterprise Data Management;Specialist Adviser, Natural Resources Wales
- Adam Rowe – Manager of South East Wales Biodiversity Records Centre Limited (SEWBReC) and representing LERC Wales
We have built in a full afternoon of workshops on Thursday 16th November. You will need to select which workshop you wish to join when you complete your registration form. Places are limited for each workshop, so please don’t forget to book!
The UK Award winners will also be announced at a ceremony on the evening of 16th November at the Museum, so please confirm your attendance for this event if you plan to join us. Find out more about the UK Awards
Friday 17th November
- Keynote address – Dr Mark Eaton, Principal Conservation Scientist, RSPB Centre for Conservation Science
- Matt Postles – Senior Programmes Manager, Bristol Natural History Consortium
- Steve Whitbread – Association of Local Records Centres Director
- Barry Stewart – Bryophyte Recorder for Glamorgan & Plant Recorder for West Glamorgan
- Dan Lear – Head of Data, Information & Technology, Marine Biological Association
- Keiron Derek Brown – Recording Officer, Earthworm Society of Britain
- Linda Moore – Development Manager, Gloucestershire Centre for Environmental Records
- Dr Rachel Roberts – Associate Ecologist, The Environment Partnership (TEP)
- Anna Moulin – University of Exeter
- Steph Skipp – ID Trainer for the Future, Natural History Museum
- Steph West – UK Biodiversity Training Manager, Natural History Museum and John Tweddle – Head of Centre, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity, Natural History Museum
- Sir John Burnett Memorial lecture – Professor Yvonne Buckley, Chair of Zoology, School of Natural Sciences, Trinity College Dublin
- Maria Longley – Community Manager, Greenspace Information for Greater London CIC
- Tim Hirsch – Deputy Director, Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF) Secretariat
- Amy Schwartz – PhD Researcher, Project Splatter, Cardiff University
- James Cranston – NERC iCASE PhD Student, University of Exeter
- Dr Graham Smith – Lead Scientist and Head of Wildlife Epidemiology and Modelling, Animal and Plant Health Agency, Defra
- Sue Townsend – FSC Biodiversity Learning Manager, Field Studies Council
Tour of the Natural History Collections at the Museum
National Museum Cardiff, Department of Natural Sciences, has kindly offered to arrange guided tours of the Natural History Collections for those who are interested in seeing them. The collections include Entomology, Marine, Mollusca or the Herbarium. Space is limited and booking is essential. If you are interested please email Michael Wilson with a preferred time from the following options:
- Wednesday 15th at 16:00.
- Thursday 16th at 08:30
- Thursday 16th at 17:15 – 18:00
- Friday 17th at 08:00.
Whilst the time cannot be guaranteed it will help the team to plan the tours around the number of people wishing to participate.
Online Bookings are now closed. Please contact us if you still wish to attend.
Opportunities are available for sponsorship from just £100. NBN Conference Sponsorship brochure 2017
Please contact us for more information.
email@example.com or 0115 9247132
Thank you to our current sponsors of the NBN Conference and UK Awards for Biological Recording and Information Sharing: