Salary: £26,000 to £30,000, depending on experience
Location: Fully remote working from home, with travel to a quarterly in-person meeting.
Hours: 35 hours per week. Flexible working available. We would consider part-time working (minimum 28 hours per week) for the right candidate.
Closing date: 9:00am, 9 November 2023
At the NBN Trust, our mission is “making data work for nature”. If that resonates with you, this could be your perfect job. We’re looking for a Biodiversity Data Officer for the NBN Atlas – the UK’s national biodiversity data repository. Come and join our small, friendly team and play a key role in mobilising data to make a real difference for nature and the health of our planet.
This is an exciting time to be involved in biodiversity data. Conservation strategies to meet new global and national targets will only be achieved if they’re underpinned by sound evidence. As the adage goes, “What gets measured gets done”. Meanwhile, technologies such as environmental DNA and AI-enabled sensors are revolutionising data collection. We’re the UK charity dedicated to biodiversity data, and the NBN Atlas is our flagship. Bringing together terrestrial, marine and freshwater species data from 170 partners – NGOs, public agencies, academic bodies and businesses – the NBN Atlas is one of the world’s largest publicly accessible biodiversity data repositories.
In this role, reporting to our NBN Atlas Data Manager, you would be responsible for enhancing access to UK biodiversity data by:
- Becoming the UK NBN Atlas expert – a super-user who knows the platform and data inside and out.
- Helping existing and new data providers to share datasets on the NBN Atlas.
- Promoting the FAIR data principles: that data should be Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable.
- Advising external partners on how to access and use data from the NBN Atlas.
- Contributing to the development and application of new data standards and new NBN Atlas functionality.
- Reporting on key metrics relating to data sharing, downloads and the impact of NBN Atlas data.
- Delivering externally funded biodiversity data products and services.
- Supporting the flow of data from the NBN Atlas to the Global Biodiversity Information Facility.
This role will be located fully remote, working from home, with travel four times a year for our in-person team meetings. With all your colleagues based remotely, you’ll need to be comfortable and effective working in a dispersed team.
We’re an equal opportunities employer. We welcome all applicants, and we’re striving to create an inclusive team. If you’re interested in joining us, please read the Job Pack (PDF) – and get in touch if there’s anything you’d like to ask.
Please send your CV along with a cover letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) to email@example.com Your covering letter should include the following:
- Why does this role interest you?
- What key aspects of your experience equip you for this role?
The closing date for applications is 9:00am on Thursday 9 November and interviews are expected to take place on 16, 17 or 20 November (to be confirmed). Successful candidates will be contacted by 5:00pm on Monday 13 November to confirm the details for their interview. Interviews will take place virtually, via Microsoft Teams.
If you would like to speak to someone about the role before you apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a call.