News and events
Nominations for NBN Awards 2020
Nominations for the 2020 NBN Awards are now closed.
There are five categories of awards:
- NBN Award for Wildlife Recording – Terrestrial (open to individuals 21 years +)
- NBN Award for Wildlife Recording – Marine (open to individuals 21 years +)
- NBN Group Award (no age restrictions)
- NBN Young Person’s Award (open to individuals aged 11-20)
- NBN Newcomer Award (open to individuals 21 years +)
Nominations opened on 4 May and closed on 26 July 2020.
This year, the five short-listed nominees from each award category will be announced on 5 October, giving us the opportunity to recognise the achievements of more biological recorders than in previous years.
The winners will be announced on 18 November as part of the National Biodiversity Network’s online conference.
We are delighted that seven organisations – Opticron, Habitat Aid, the Field Studies Council (FSC), Nature Photographers Ltd, William Collins, British Wildlife magazine and Natural History Book Service (NHBS) – are supporting these awards this year.
Opticron is generously sponsoring prizes for the NBN Young Person’s Award and the NBN Newcomer Award.
Habitat Aid is generously sponsoring prizes for the NBN Award for Wildlife Recording – Terrestrial and the NBN Award for Wildlife Recording – Marine.
The Field Studies Council (FSC) is generously sponsoring a prize for the NBN Group Award.
Nature Photographers Ltd is generously sponsoring prizes in all Award categories.
Nature Photographers Ltd coordinates the international Bird Photographer of the Year competition, now in its fifth year.
William Collins is generously sponsoring prizes in all Award categories.
British Wildlife magazine is generously sponsoring a prize for the NBN Newcomer Award.
Natural History Book Service is generously sponsoring a prize for the NBN Young Person’s Award.
Rules of the Awards
- The National Biodiversity Network Trust will make the awards annually.
- Nominations may be made by anyone (including people and organisations that are not Network members), and you may even nominate yourself.
- Individuals, groups of people or entire organisations are eligible for the awards.
- The Awards committee, chaired by the NBN Senior Communications Officer, will decide on the winners each year. The Committee will include the NBN Trust Patron, the Chair of the NBN Board of Trustees, the CEO of the NBN Trust and representatives of the Biological Records Centre and National Forum for Biological Recording.
- The Awards Committee will consider the significance of the contribution (voluntary or otherwise) made to wildlife recording and/or improving our understanding of the UK’s biodiversity. This could include filling geographic or taxonomic gaps in our knowledge, encouraging and facilitating participation, verifying records, teaching or mentoring recorders, or creating and sharing tools and resources to support wildlife recording and increasing participation.
- Nominations opened on 4 May and closed on 26 July 2020.
John Sawyer NBN Open Data Award
As in the last five years, the NBN Trust will once again be determining the winner of the above award, which has been created to “recognise and celebrate the outstanding contribution of NBN Data Partners in achieving the vision of the NBN in collecting and sharing biological data openly to educate and inform”.
The NBN Trust will identify one Data Partner deserving of the John Sawyer NBN Open Data Award in 2020.
N.B. Public nominations cannot be made for the John Sawyer NBN Open Data Award.
Previous Years’ Awards
Nominators’ and Nominees’ Contact Details
The privacy of Award nominators’ and nominees’ information is assured. While we might contact the nominator again about the Awards in future years, we will not email any information about the NBN Trust’s other work to the nominator or nominee, unless we have been actively requested to.
Download the NBN Award for Wildlife Recording – Terrestrial 2020 nomination form (Editable MS Word document) or complete nomination online.
Download the NBN Award for Wildlife Recording – Marine 2020 nomination form (Editable MS Word document) or complete nomination online.