River Invertebrate Prediction and Classification System (RIVPACS)/ River Invertebrate Classification Tool (RICT) Bioassessment Training.
During this two-day course delegates can expect to gain a thorough theoretical and practical knowledge of the latest version of the RIVPACS/RICT bioassessment tool. Delegates will be able to produce biological assessments to similar standards as used by the regulatory authorities for Water Framework Directive compliance monitoring.
The course will provide an introductory background to:
- biotic indices,
- RIVPACS models and RICT,
- standardised RIVPACS kick/sweep sampling,
- collection of time variant environmental predictor variables,
- principles of standardised laboratory sample processing and enumeration to required taxonomic level(s)*,
- collection of time invariant environmental predictor variables,
- manual calculation of observed biotic index values (examples of major indices currently in use in the UK),
- introduction to the latest web based RICT software and RIVPACS IV models,
- preparation of data input files,
- running RICT in classify, predict and compare modes,
- interpretation of RICT outputs,
- quality classes and diagnosis of stress.
The course will include a demonstration of use of the RICT software. If you would like the chance to practice using the software yourself, please bring a laptop.
John Davy-Bowker is a knowledgeable freshwater biologist with considerable research and teaching experience, and part of the team continuing to develop the RIVPACS/RICT bioassessment tool.
You can download a booking form from the FBA website.
Early bird rate £335;
FBA member £325